Terms and Conditions
We are looking forward to welcoming you to The Mowbray. Please sign and date below to indicate that you understand the terms and conditions below.
- All provisional bookings will be held for 7 days then automatically cancelled unless a signed copy of these terms and conditions is received along with the agreed deposit which is not refundable.
- Your deposit is non-refundable and non-amendable. Your payment confirms your understanding and acceptance of the terms and conditions below.
- Prices are individual and based on a bespoke quotation - dependant upon guest numbers, timings and or dates of hire.
- Menu, drinks and additional costs at The Mowbray are subject to change - if an event is booked more than one year in advance final prices may differ from the original quote.
- In the event that you wish to cancel your booking, the cancellation must be approved by The Mowbray and the cancellation agreed by both parties. The first deposit payment is not refundable.
- Should you be forced to postpone your booked date, the original deposit paid to The Mowbray may be transferred to another date (subject to availability) within 3 months of the original date on condition that The Mowbray is successful in selling the original date.
- Only one transfer is permitted.
- If a client cancels a confirmed reservation less than 12 months in advance, The Mowbray reserves the right to claim the following sums, unless a booking is obtained for the same date from a third party on no less favourable terms.
- Anticipated revenue is the total estimated value of business based on your food and drink choices based on numbers given by the Event Booker on confirmation. This does not include the non-refundable deposit.
If cancellation or change to the number of guests occurs 14 days before the event, 100% of the full event balance will be billed.
If an event is cancelled within 30 days, 75% of the final bill, based on anticipated revenue will be charged.
If an event is cancelled within 1- 3 months, 50% of the final bill, based on anticipated revenue will be charged.
If an event is cancelled within 6-12 months, 20% of the final bill, based on anticipated revenue will be charged.
The Mowbray reserve the right to cancel any booking at any time.
All cancellations must be made in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
We strongly recommend that you take out a comprehensive insurance policy for your event, as once deposits are paid they are non refundable.
Your booking with us here at The Mowbray may not be re-sold or passed onto a third party. Booking at The Mowbray can only be taken and authorised by The Mowbray.
- The Event Booker is responsible for all guests and their activities during the period of the booking.
- The Event Booker must provide The Mowbray a full guest list for your event.
- We reserve the right to remove any guest from the building if deemed appropriate. All staff decisions are final. If it is deemed necessary for an event to be bought to a close early, for any reason, The Mowbray management's decision is final.
- It is the Event Booker’s responsibility to ensure the safety of each guest using the building & staircase to the roof terrace.
- The Event Booker is responsible for the safe treatment and care of The Mowbray during the period of the booking. This includes care of equipment, furniture, lighting, crockery, cutlery glassware, fabric and installations. This includes any damage to the bar, the green drapes, toilets, fixtures, fittings, doors and hallways. Any damages or costs incurred to the building, or contents, will be non-negotiable, billed to The Event Booker and be due immediately.
- There is a £500 cleaning charge for confetti thrown within the building, or table sprinkles used on the tables. It is your responsibility to ensure your guests are aware of this. The charge will be immediately deducted from your payment card.
While we will always try to accommodate in other ways - we are unable to fix/hang banners and balloons to the walls of The Mowbray. This is due to many aspects of our interior being antique or reclaimed materials - we are unable to pin, tack or fasten decorations to them in case of damage.
- We have a zero-tolerance drugs policy - guests suspected of breaking this will be ejected straight away and police will be informed immediately.
- It is the The Event Booker’s responsibility to ensure guests have been sent arrivals and parking information.
- If your guests do smoke - we encourage the use of the roof terrace rather than the front of the building - to ensure the privacy of your event.
- Please be aware that The Mowbray has CCTV in operation.
Your menu choice and approximate guest numbers must be confirmed 30 days before your event.
Final numbers and dietary requirements must be confirmed 14 days before your event. Your invoice will be issued immediately and is then due.
- The Mowbray opens at the agreed time for parties, private dining, weddings or lunchtime events. The Mowbray is not open to the general public outside agreed private hire times.
- If guests arrive before the agreed time they will not be allowed access to The Mowbray.
- The Mowbray will close promptly at the agreed time arranged by the House Manager. The Event Booker is responsible to ensure their guests are ready to leave at the agreed time. There are no exceptions on the timings.
- We are in a residential area. Anyone arriving or leaving needs to be under the authority of The Event Booker and must maintain considerate, quiet and controlled behaviour.
- The Event Booker is responsible for arranging music at The Mowbray - either our music can be used or playlists can be played through our sound system. Music will be automatically turned down 30 minutes prior to the agreed end time, as we have a sound restriction in place.
- Bands or DJs are allowed by prior arrangement and must have read and understood our Sound Management Policy before your event. A link will be sent to the Event Booker to share with any third party entertainment. The Mowbray can decide at anytime if music volume needs adjusting and exercises the right to halt third party entertainment at any time. Band and DJ equipment can only be delivered, set up on the day of the event at an agreed time by Mowbray management. This kit must be taken away on the evening of the event.
For any third party supplier of AV equipment we will need to see public liability insurance documents and any supplier bringing equipment into The Mowbray that requires plugging in - please provide a PAT test certificate.
- The Mowbray holds no responsibility for the loss or damage of any property or personal belongings before, after and during the event.
- The Event Booker is responsible for the registration of all users of the room during the period of the booking in accordance with Health and Safety Regulations.
- Your information may be stored as a paper copy should your enquiry require this, for example copies of invoices. This information is stored securely for the duration that HMRC require.
- Please contact our House Manager, 6-8 weeks prior to your booking at the latest, to discuss all final arrangements.
- We are happy to welcome children into The Mowbray and do so regularly - but it is on the understanding that children are looked after by their parents at all times and are their responsibility for the duration of the event.
- Children are permitted in The Mowbray until 9pm The Mowbray team are not responsible for children at any time.
- If children are attending the event you will have been sent a link to our 'Children at The Mowbray' document - it is your responsibility that this is sent to all guests that are intending to bring children to your event.
- All catering is prepared on site. We do not allow caterers, apart from our own, on site.
- Private Dining is for a minimum of 50 guests, unless otherwise agreed, the cost quoted will be charged for in full, regardless of any guest cancellation.
- Allergen information is available on request for all menus. It is the Event Booker’s responsibility to ensure allergen information has been distributed to each guest.
- The Event Booker is responsible for confirming exact dietary requirements for all guests, at least 14 days before the event. We do not guarantee we can cater for guests who have requirements we have not previously been made aware of.
- Whilst we will take every care to avoid adding allergens to any dish relating to such a request, potential allergens will certainly have been used previously in our kitchen. We cannot guarantee any of our suppliers will not have added potential allergenic ingredients, or that they operate in kitchens free from all allergenic ingredients.
- We are unable to provide any leftover food to be taken away from the premises, as we are unable to guarantee appropriate temperature controls and product handling, we are unable to provide any leftover food to be taken away from the premises. This is in compliance with the Food Safety Temperature Control Act 1995.
Wedding & Celebration Cakes
The Mowbray offers bespoke cakes made by our expert chef team. However we also allow cake companies to provide the cake for your event. If the cake company is not on our approved list of suppliers we will ask for the company's public liability and food hygiene certification.
Our guests often will bring their own cake creations into The Mowbray - but we cannot take any responsibility for any heath and safety issues.
We are a small team and require a good notice period for drop off of cakes. We request that cakes are dropped off up to 2 hours before your event starts.
We are very happy to un-pack, position your cake and help with simple styling - ready for your arrival.
For cakes that need assembling, icing, decorating and styling by the cake creator then we ask that this is detailed and agreed by Mowbray management prior to the event. It may mean that extra hire time is agreed for cakes that require a longer period of time for assembling and styling.
- The Mowbray is a fully licensed venue and we do not allow the consumption of customers own alcohol on the premises. This will immediately be confiscated and it will be down to the discretion of The Mowbray management if that person can remain in the building.
- The Mowbray management reserve the right to stop serving any guest who they believe has become too inebriated. We reserve the right to remove any guest from the building if deemed appropriate. All staff decisions are final.
- Minimum bar spend may apply to your event and will be included in your bespoke quote and is payable in advance.
- Minimum bar spend will be added to the final bill 14 days prior to your event
- We do not permit the sale of alcohol to be taken off the premises
- Please make guests aware that there is no car parking on site at The Mowbray
- There is parking available nearby - it is The Event Booker’s responsibility to ensure guests have been sent arrivals and parking instructions which can be found HERE on The Mowbray’s website.
- The Event Booker understands that we will ask, on occasion to use photographs and video footage from your event that will be used by The Chimney House / The Mowbray for promotional purposes and may include media, editorial coverage, advertising press and use on the internet, including social media. Participants who do not wish for their images to be used in such ways must inform the The Chimney House / The Mowbray prior to the Event, in writing via email.
- The Mowbray Gift cards can be redeemed at either The Chimney House and The Mowbray Venues towards the final cost of your booking.
- This Mowbray gift card can be part or fully exchanged towards the cost of a supper club event, experience or towards a private party at The Mowbray or The Chimney House.
- The Mowbray gift cards cannot be exchanged at separate events for alcohol purchases.
- Reservations are subject to availability and at our discretion.
- Reservations for supper club events can be made by calling 0114 2767885.
- Details of all all supper club events can be found online at https://themowbray.co.uk/events
- By purchasing this Mowbray gift card the user, agrees to abide by our Terms and Conditions, which can be found online at https://themowbray.co.uk/terms-dining
- The Mowbray gift cards are valid for 10 months from the date of sale.
- The Mowbray gift cards cannot be exchanged for cash.
- We reserve the right to vary these terms & conditions without prior notice.
In the instance of a force majeure, which may lead to the cancellation of an event, we would transfer the event to an alternative date, subject to availability
Usual events of force majeure include war, act of terrorism, labour disputes, compliance with law, order, rule or regulation, fire, flood and storm, however this list is not limited to these examples and isn't exhaustive.
In an event of force majeure we would follow the latest Government advice when available.
General Emergency Evacuation Plan
Premises address and contact number: 118 Mowbray Street, Sheffield, S3 8EN // 0114 276 7887
Postal / Alternative address: 3 Neepsend Lane, Sheffield, S3 8EN
Sound of the alarm
The sound of the alarm will be a continuously sounding siren.
Raising the alarm
In the event of a fire:
If the fire is discovered by a staff member or if a visitor notifies staff of a fire, the alarm will be raised by activation of the nearest call point or commencing manual warning (shouting)
Action staff should take on hearing the alarm
The following actions will be taken upon the fire alarm being sounded/raised:
- The manager on duty will take charge and lead in the fire evacuation
- Dial 999 and request attendance by the Fire Service. Staff member must give their name, name of buidling, building address as above, contact number and details of fire
- Staff will commence evacuation of the building - ensuring this is done in a calm and orderly manner.
- Senior chef on duty to clear kitchen and KP room. If safe to do so, shut off gas and any electrical equipment. Ensure shutter and doors are closed.
- Senior Chef on duty to check male, female and disabled toilets and garage. If safe to do so check the terrace area.
- Manager on duty clear the main room, checking the bar area, porch and seating area. if necessary pull open the front doors. If safe to do so shut off electrical equipment and shut doors. Assist guests with additional needs, or ensure they have help leaving the building
- Director on duty to check all areas of the 93ft office (during office hours)
- If safe to do so electrical mains and gas should be switched off before leaving the building. The location of these are detailed below.
- Manager on duty to ensure nobody re-enters the buidling until confirmed safe to do so by the fire service
- Meet at assembly point and check all contractors and staff members are accounted for.
- Manager on duty to liase with Fire Service upon their arrival
The escape routes from the building are:
1. Via the front doors onto Mowbray Street, turn right to assembly point
2. Via the back door or onto Neepsend Lane, turn left to assembly point
Fire Assembly Point
The fire assembly point is on the corner of Neepsend Lane and Mowbray Street
Please Complete the form below
Your non-refundable deposit payment confirms your understanding and acceptance of the terms and conditions.